If your child is having difficulty with their writing, you can provide a lot of cheap custom material to help them by downloading the FREE National First Dotted Font from CoolFonts.
Procedure (for Windows XP - Similar for other versions of Windows)
PART 1: INSTALLING THE FONT
- Download the Font from
- Copy the font file somewhere onto your PC eg: C:\TEMP
- Click START, CONTROL PANEL
- Then double-click FONTS
if you can't see fonts, then Control Panel is probably in Category view - in which case...
Click SWITCH TO CLASSIC VIEW and then double-click FONTS
- From the menu, select File, then Install New Font.
- Change the Drive Letter to where you saved the font (eg: C:)
- Change the folder if necessary to where you saved the font (eg: C:\TEMP)
- The box at the top will fill with the list of fonts found at that location.
Look for National First Font Dotted (TrueType)
- Click on it and then click Ok.
A bar graph will display while the font is installed.
- Close the fonts, control panel etc...
PART 2: USING THE FONT
- Open Microsoft Word to a blank document
- In the Fonts dropdown, choose National First Font Dotted - it might be hard to read, but it's there, and the fonts are in alphabetical order - which makes it easier to find.
- In the Font Size dropdown, choose a big size eg: 72
- Start typing, it should come out dotted.
If you need it to be fainter, try changing the color to light grey.
- When you've finished, print out the page for your child to practice on.